Wednesday, November 5, 2014

6 Year Anniversary!

I can't believe it's been SIX years! I also can't believe that I didn't post for my 5 year anniversary! Whoops! I guess that's what happens when you have a 2 month old!

So it's 6 years post-op, and I'm doing great! I actually didn't plan on updating this blog anymore, but with all the positive feedback I've gotten from the Facebook group (Calcaneal Osteotomy), I figured I should say hi and post a quick update.

I'm still training, doing nutritional counseling, etc. I am exercising a bit less at the moment but not because of my ankle :) I still have pain in one spot in particular if I touch it (which I don't), or whack it accidentally. I have some issues with bursa sacs and neuromas, not sure if they are related to the surgery and the different way I bear weight now or not. I still see the same Chiropractor/MAT I have since the beginning of this journey, he has helped me immensely! I see him every 2 weeks, which definitely helps everything. I also have a couple herniated discs, etc.

In the last year or so, I've really been doing a lot of research and experimentation with essential oils, specifically the Young Living brand. I have found that certain oils in particular really help me with some of the continued pain I have. If you're interested, please shoot me a message and I'm happy to discuss further! You can ask to join the FB group as well.

I still don't play soccer, which I miss terribly, but I know I can't go back to. I am cautious not to wear running shoes or run on unstable ground, for risk of rolling my ankle and un-doing all the work that's been done to repair those soft tissues. Although there are downsides to the surgery, I still believe there are more pros than cons. Although I will say, I will never do the other ankle. :)

Peace, love and recovery!

Melissa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa,

My name is Charlotte, I'm from London and I have just found your blog and found it very heartening and inspiring, thank you. I am due to have a calconeal osteotomy and FDL tendon transfer in November this year (I wanted the summer before the horror hits!)and am absolutely terrified. I feel that surgeons don't seem to really explain to you the extraordinary recovery time that is required. I'm really concerned about it and really wonder if I should go through with it...reading your account it looks like you were in great pain before the op, this isn't my case. I can cope, I go salsa dancing, I swim and cycle but I can no longer run which was my passion. So I'm wondering if it is the right thing to do. I was especially struck by when you described how your body needed to be re-aligned once the ankle bone was adjusted...scary! But thank you so much for your account and I am so impressed by your incredible positivity and can do attitude. Huge congrats on what you have achieved! Best, Charlotte