Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Day 29-


not mine yet...
Originally uploaded by megalitz
29 days before surgery. I'm doing okay. Haven't cried in a while. Maybe I'm coming to terms. I have no idea. Lately my body has been in so much pain, that it's almost unbearable a few hours after a workout. And I'm not even working out hard anymore, just enough to keep me healthy. Maybe it was b/c I needed new running shoes. :) So I got some new shoes. I'm hilarious. Yes, I'm *sure* my body hurts b/c of my old shoes. Aye yi yi. Hey, whatever makes me feel better at this point. I've gotten new sweatpants, warm up pants, a hugeeeee comfy blanket, and am starting to really prepare for this.

This is a picture of someone's foot who has had the surgery. I get that very same screw. Does everyone see how LARGE that screw is?! So much for quick trips through airport security!

But I did meet a lady at Luke's Locker, the saleswoman that was helping me out, that was very supportive. She was trying to convince me that I needed a medium in these warm up pants, and I was trying to convince her a needed a large. :) I told her I would have to get them on and off over a large cast for a very long time, and then she understood. (Although, for the record, Mediums were too small anyways. Who wants their sweatpants to "fit" them?! I want them baggy as ever)! Anyways, this lady was hiking in CO two years ago, when she slipped on a rock. Shattered her ankle. 13 screws and a 4 inch plate. *whoa*. Gives me goosebumps. So talking to her was nice b/c she understood. Also there are apparently these socks you can get, they are like compression socks or something, for airplanes and such, which helps injuries like that when flying...something about the swelling or the pressure or both. I'm going to have to look into that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHOA!! Scary Pic!! I thought that was yours and I was like WHOA wait a minute i didn't think you were having the surgery yet. Ok phew - deep breath.

Did you know running shoes are old after you have tread 400 miles on them? I had no idea...that is not that much in the scheme of things.

Always good to have comfy soft wonderful blankets!

Yeah sweatpants should be big - my PJ pants are HUGE and i love them!

Glad you got to talk to someone that had something similar...that has got to feel good to talk to someone that has gone through it. I wonder if there are people your doctor has worked on that would be willing to share their stories...I know at CTCA that was a big thing.

Hang in there girl! You are gonna make it through this! LOVE, shell

Melissa said...

thanks sweetie! yeah, i did know that about running shoes, its like 6 months or x hundred miles... i know mine were done for. so i already feel better about them.

thanks for the positive reinforcement, you rock!