Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Day 105+, Week 15

Today marks my 15th week anniversary. That makes me 105 days post op. I completed my 4 weeks in the boot, and began really walking on Monday. So for the past three days I've started out and finished the day without ever getting in the boot, which is EXTREMELY exciting. Monday morning I brought it with me to work, and left it in the car, mostly as insurance. It's still sitting in the car. :) I'm trying not to use the crutches either. I put them in the back of my closet. To be rid of those walking aids is so freeing, it's an incredible feeling. I'm so happy. 

I'm so happy that I'm getting super antsy. It's 76 degrees outside. In February. There are people mowing their lawns. It smells like summer. I NEED TO RUN. But not yet. I can't. I actually have a very hard time walking without a limp. However since Monday I've made incredible progress, so I'm thinking by this weekend the limp will be gone. It's hard though, because the pain is back. It's always great when I'm at the end of a phase (like I am at the end of the 4 weeks in the boot), because I feel great, almost no pain, little soreness. But now, introducing walking into the mix, which I obviously haven't done in 100 days, is very difficult. I have a lot of pain when I walk, and a TON of pain at night. I was almost in tears last night. I want to be done with this, but know it will be a while, and so that is really frustrating.

Monday I was so happy I was tearing up, now today I'm so frustrated I am tearing up. It's quite silly, really. :) But having this frustrated feeling inside of me, well, that is what's going to get me back on that horse, so I guess I should stop complaining. I AM grateful to be walking. And I just need to remember that I've come so far, and I have to take the baby steps in between to get to where I want to go, I can't skip those crucial steps, or I will set myself back. And like I've said before, there was more than one motive behind this surgery, one of those was to take better care of myself, and this is ALL part of that. 

So, I'm going to try to put the pain out of my mind. I can get both of my worn out New Balances on without too much trouble. I tried to wear my "real" running shoes to work today, the ones that are in great shape (not stretched out) and have the orthotics in them. I got out of my house and barely sat down at my desk before I had to take them off, it was just too painful to even have them on. They are much too tight. Ugh. Baby steps, Melissa, baby steps.

Today I go to the Physical Therapist for my 4th appointment (I only go every 2 weeks), and I'm anxious to hear how much range of motion and strength I've gained in the past couple weeks. And in a couple more weeks, I will go get my body fat tested again. Dun dun dun... :) But I am starting to feel really good, when I work out I am starting to see more and more of the "athlete" Melissa, physically and mentally, and that is a wonderful feeling. In some ways I can't believe I did this...but more so, I knew I could. :) I'm ready, let's do this!

Pain: 2
Quote(s): 
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Gandi

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

(I couldn't choose between the two quotes today, they were both too pefect!)

No comments: