Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 91+, 13 weeks


DSC01085_BW 72 2
Originally uploaded by megalitz
13 week anniversary, can you believe it?! After a week of walking in the boot, I have successfully hyperextended/thrown out both knees. Now I remember exactly why I always try to get out of this thing early. It really messes up the rest of your body!

Took a week off of swimming, just did stationary bike. That went well. Got in the pool for the first time yesterday and actually it felt a lot better. If I concentrate on NOT concentrating on the ankle and the pain, I can swim well. I know, sounds crazy. But when I am conscious of my injured right ankle, my right leg doesn't kick at all while swimming. It just floats there.

Yesterday was the first day I was able to fit both feet into shoes! I pulled out the most worn-in and stretched out pair of sneakers I have, gritted my teeth, held my breath, and inserted my foot. Yee-ouch. But it's okay. It fit! So I walked around most of yesterday in my sneaker, sans boot, sans crutches. It was nice. Painful, but nice. There feels like there is layers of "stuff" in between the bottom of my foot and the shoe itself. Really pretty gross. I'll be excited when the swelling in my heel goes down and am able to touch the outside of my heel, it is still insanely painful and disgusting. But it looks wonderful!

So here is a pic of my feet, in my shoes. Although you can't tell from the photo. That's okay, I had fun blowing out the contrast and playing with the image. I had PT this am, he was impressed with my progress. Thank goodness. Considering the last time I saw him he told me to quit it at the gym until I could walk. And today I was walking in shoes! He wants me to call the Doc and ensure that's okay, but I think it will be fine. I'll call anyways though.

The PT said I have gained quite a bit of strength and a LOT of range of motion in the past two weeks. That's exciting. He gave me more new exercises, some including some hip muscle ones, apparently I have proximal hip muscle weakness, from being on crutches so long, it's hard for my body to hold my hips up. Odd, but I believe it. I can feel it!

Pain: 1-2. 3 by the end of the night. Still no pain meds. Advil actually does seem to be helping a bit, finally...hooray!!
Quote: Grr. Book is not here. I need a better system. :)

No comments: