Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day 98+, Week 14

Hooray! 14 week anniversary today! Day 98 post op. Almost at 100! I have had a very exciting last couple of days. Monday I had my best swim ever. It was great, I felt amazing, everything made sense. I "got it," everything was in sync. My breathing, my kicking, my arms. I was so happy! I went for a swim again on Tuesday, and had another really great swim. Just 3 weeks ago I could swim one length of the pool, I could do that 3 times in 20 minutes with several minutes of doggy paddling in between. Now I must have done the length of the pool at least 10 times, and twice I did two lengths in a row! I'm sure this is a bunch of nonsense to anyone reading this, but that's okay.

So today I rode the stationary bike. I did 40 minutes on the lower bike, and 10 on the upper bike. (Upper bike is much harder!) I felt so wonderful. And now I am beginning to see my hard work pay off. I am beginning to look more in shape. It's terrific! I tried the rowing machine today, first time I was able to do it. My second attempt, however. The first time I tried with my boot on, that doesn't work so well. And at that point I couldn't take my boot off, so I had to wait on the rowing machine. I did the rowing machine today and was able to bend my ankle quite a bit. Did my sit-ups, the usual. Starting to get my "real" life back. Went tanning, went to the grocery store, made some dinner, did some baking for Juan, and then... I took a SHOWER. My first shower! Oh, wait. Maybe second. Regardless...it was teh first time I could do it semi-comfortably. The bath mat was killing me though. It has these raised circles for "traction" and it felt like I was stepping on huge rocks. Oh well, couldn't ruin my exercise high!

I spoke with the PA (physician's assistant) last week. He said I needed to be in the boot for 4 weeks. Which is rather confusing to me, since the surgeon told me 3 weeks ago that I was "good to go" and it was "rock solid." The PA wasn't in the room for my last appt with the surgeon, so I don't think he knows what's going on, but I heeded his advice anyways, because healing correctly is important to me, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. So 4 weeks in the boot is Friday, so as of then I will start walking more. I'm kind of taking advantage of it not being 4 weeks yet. I'm walking in the boot just fine, and my knees are bothering me less. Probably b/c I am doing less walking. Oh well.

So I feel super duper. I still can't walk in the mornings. It's super painful in the morning. It's like it does not function for the first 15 minutes I am awake, it's weird. Well, that's all I've got for now, my concentration is shot. Hooray for 98 days. I'm so happy and proud of myself. I feel so motivated and I have so much hope. I needed this surgery for numerous reasons, and now I'm starting to see the benefits of surgery in more than one way. I feel I have matured quite a bit, and my eyes have been opened to several other athletic activities, like...swimming that I'm giving an honest chance. I may even join some sort of swim program. After my "money diet" is over. :)

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Glad to hear you are getting back in the game - so to speak...swimming is definitely different - but I give you kudos cause swimming is SO HARD!! I can't even make it a lap without being totally out of breath.

Anyway its good to hear you are happy and feeling good - and congrats again on your engagement!