Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Day 167+, Surgery #2, Hardware Removal


DSC01510_72
Originally uploaded by megalitz
So here I am, right after the second surgery to remove the huge painful screw from my heel. And after looking at it I realized I shouldn't feel like a wuss for being in so much pain. That thing is enormous, and really shouldn't be inside your body, or sticking out of your heel. :)

Surgery went well, it was tougher and more involving than the surgeon let on, but oh well, it's over now. It only took a few minutes for him to unscrew, by hand, and remove the heel from my bone. There is a nice incision on the back of my heel and two huge stitches closing it back up. I was under for quite a while, and pretty much slept all day. Something about surgery, it's the best sleep ever! No interruptions! It was pretty painful that day, not nearly as painful as the reconstruction itself, ugh...that gives me the shivers! But I couldn't "walk" out of the OR like the Doc said I would be able to. I couldn't bear any weight the day of surgery.

By the end of the first day post op, I could bear a little bit of weight, so that's good. I was on pain meds the first day, and that was it. Didn't need them after that! Yippie! But was really sick the next couple days, just slept straight through them.

Overall, hardware removal was a definite success, and I even got to take the screw home with me. It's definitely my favorite piece of hardware, even above all the trophies and medals I've collected over the years, because this shows what I've gone through more than any award ever could!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had flat foot reconstruction surgery on my foot about 14 months ago and have not been able to walk correctly or run since. I'm thinking about getting those screws removed that are in my heel. Would you recommend the surgery? Are you able to run, sprint and jump no problem now? Please let me know how it went for you post op. Thanks.