Wednesday, November 5, 2008

SURGERY DAY! November 5, 2008


DSC00493_72
Originally uploaded by megalitz
Well, it's crazy, I did it! I can't believe it! Walking up to the hospital this morning in the pitch dark, I asked my Dad, "Are we sure this is a good idea? We decided this was the best option, right?" And he chucked and said, "Yes, dear, you did. Several times."

I feel good right now. Actually, considering what I just went through, I feel like a rockstar! If you get this surgery make sure to get the pain blocks! I got two in leg, knee area, and it numbs your leg from knee down for 18-24 hours. I'm hoping for 24! I can still "feel it," but it's not crazy intense pain. I'm worried that it will be once the nerve blocks wear off though. I think I have another 6-12 hours. Yikes.

Surgery took 1h 5m. Crazy, when you think about what they did. They said the ligaments were "salvagable." Wow, creepy to hear...I guess I really did a number on them all these years. 2 were frayed and he wove them back together, and the 3rd was so stretched out he had to reattach. I haven't actually spoken to the Doc after the surgery, this is what he told my fam, I can't wait to talk to him myself and hear how f-ed up it was and how much better it should be!

The worst parts of this whole thing SO FAR has really been the anticipation. The nerve blocks HURT and they kind of electricute you (your leg) to find where the nerves are so these strong electrical pulses are being sent through you and they hold you down and your leg jumps around, its gross. My calf muscle was about to pop out of my leg and i think my toes all moved in different directions. That and when they gave me the meds in the IV to really knock me out, it hurt badly. They said I wouldn't remember it, but I do! Bastards. :)

I had my surgery at Baylor Hospital in Dallas, TX. I couldn't say enough about the nurses and staff there. Everyone was so incredible wonderful, it really made this whole experience much, much better. The nurse even let me sleep for over 2 hours after I got out of surgery b/c I was soooo tired! Usually as soon as they see you are awake they make your ass get up and out of bed!

And actually when they were checking me in, the nurses were like, "so, are you staying for one or two nights?" me: "ummm...NO nights! they said i could go home!" so that was a little scary since I was excited to get home and out of the hospital. Obviously, they let me go home. We got there at 6:30am and we left about 1:30pm I believe.

Everyone seems to be impressed at how well I am doing today. I am too. But tomorrow is going to suuuuuuck I know it. And I thought waking up in the hospital bed afterwards was going to be a lot worse than it actually was. I came to so slowly and didn't feel much pain so it was good. The nurse woke me and asked my pain level, I said 1. (scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst). Then after I was awake for a few minutes, it was increasing for sure, I told her I changed my mind, it was heading past a 3, and she grabs some morphine and shoots me up. Nuts! Morphine is crazy! But it works!! :)

Anyways, that's all for now, I have only a few minutes left before the pain meds kick back in and I get realllly sleeeepppy. Wish me luck that I don't cut my leg off from pain tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Cheers!

No comments: